Followers

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Forfeit

So it's been a while since the first fight. I don't know what took so long for the second fight to happen, but it finally did. William's voice filled the whole place, informing us that the next match would take place in 30 minutes, and to come to the colosseum.

On my way there, I got sopped by Anthony in the hallway.

"Hey man," he said. "You gonna be in the stands?"

"Yeah," I said. "Why?"

"I was worried you might be my opponent," he said.

"Wait, you're fighting?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said. "I was informed so in private, but I have no idea who I'm up against."

"Well, you'll find out soon enough," I said. "Pretty high odds that it won't be anyone merciful, though."

"I know," he said. "I'm gonna have to play this just right."

"Well, good luck out there, man," I said.

"Thanks," he said.

We parted ways, and I took a seat in the stands. The families were already in their seats above us. I have no idea where William is keeping them the rest of the time, but it seems he's gonna make them watch every fight. Bastard.

I spotted Julia up there. I had promised her I'd save her brother, but now I needed to find a way to save her too. And on top of that...

I glanced down at my wrist, where I could still feel the tightness of her invisible thread there. I had to complete the mission she'd given me on top of everything else, otherwise she'd take my hand. Bitch...

Sal took a seat besides me.

"Any idea who's fighting?" he asked.

"I know Anthony is," I said. "Not sure who he's up against yet."

"One everyone gets here, we'll know based on process of elimination," Sal said.

"Good point," I said. "By the way, we need to talk in private after this."

"Fine," he said. "I figured you'd want to."

He nodded up at the families.

"That family up there is staring a you," he said. "Especially the young girl."

"I know," I said.

I had felt my parent's eyes on my the whole time, but I was trying to avoid meeting their gaze. I haven't spoken to them in years. How the fuck am I supposed to look them in the eyes now? Especially after everything I've done since then. And my sister... I know she's been in contact with Anthony, but I have no idea what he's told her about me.

"They're your family, right?" Sal asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"They're worried about you," he said.

"Nice observation," I replied.

"Don't wanna talk about them?" he asked.

"Nope," I said. "What about you? You got any family up there?"

"Not up there, no," he said.

"Don't wanna talk about it either?" I asked.

"Nope," he replied. "I think everyone's here, now."

I looked around. All the other players were seated now. Except for...

"The lilim," I noted.

"Yep," Sal said. "Your friend has his work cut out for him."

William addressed all of us with that booming voice of his.

"It is time for the second fight of the finals!" he said. "My apologies for the delay, but I now bring you Anthony Helioson versus Sera Philips!"

Anthony and the lilim girl entered the colosseum and stood across from each other.

"Begin!" William said.

Sera got into a fighting stance, while Anthony quickly raised his hand to her.

"Um, can you give me a sec before we start this?" he said innocently.

She raised an eyebrow and relaxed her stance a bit. Anthony turned his attention to William.

"Um, William, sir?" he said. "Is it all right if I call you William?"

William exhaled slowly and folded his arms behind his back.

"You are to address me as the Game Master," he said.

"Right, right, of course," Anthony said. "Mr. Game Master, sir."

"What is he meaning of this interruption?" William demanded.

"Um, it's about to no surrendering thing," Anthony said.

"What about it?" William demanded.

"Are you sure?" Anthony said. "I mean, I don't really feel comfortable taking her on."

"Yes, I am sure," William growled. "Under no circumstances are either of you to surrender."

"I'm sorry sir," Anthony said. "I just think it should be a valid option. I'm just saying that maybe you should consider, you know... reconsidering?"

William thought for a second before realizing what Anthony was up to.

"You're stalling." William said.

"Whaaaaaaaaaat?" Anthony said, making sure to draw his words out. "Noooooooooooo. Why on Earth would I do that?"

"You are!" William snapped angrily. "Why? What are you stalling for!?"

"Sir," Anthony said. "I assure you that I am absolutely, positively not trying to waste your time in any way."

"Helioson…," William growled.

"Look," Anthony said. "I promise that I'm not trying to stall in any way. I would never, under any circumstances try to- oh! There it goes..."

And then he collapsed on the ground. William stood dumbfounded for a bit, before tensing up in visible frustration.

"DAY!!" he exclaimed.

One of the cards, the Ace of Hearts, judging by her mask, appeared in the arena and examined Anthony.

"He drugged himself, my lord," she said. "Prior to the match."

William covered his masked face with his hands and exhaled slowly.

"Clever bastard," I muttered to myself.

"The match officially began," Sal said. "Which means..."

William seemed to compose himself, and addressed us all again.

"Anthony Helioson has lost consciousness," he said, through gritted teeth.. "The winner of this match is Sera Philips."

He turned to leave, but before exiting, he looked over his shoulder and added one more thing.

"From now on, NO DRUGS!"

So yeah. No drugs. My plan to get stoned before all my fights has been crushed. Damn.


No comments:

Post a Comment