Followers

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Smoke Break

Ran into somebody today. He was just leaning against a building, having a smoke. Terrence and Rachel recognized him immediately.

"That's that dude we met earlier," Terrence said. "The guy who was investigating the fight between the Enhanced and the Crimson Knight."

"We should probably keep some distance," Rachel said. "If what that Card told us about him is true, he could be dangerous. We should come up with a plan before approaching him."

Ignoring both of them, I walked right up to him and casually leaned against the wall next to him.

"Bum one off ya?" I asked.

He pulled his pack of cigarettes out and handed me one, along with a lighter. I lit it up while Terrence and Rachel just watched, dumbfounded. After a few moments, I spoke up.

"It's been a while, Anthony," I said.

"Sure has," he replied.

"Wait, you know this guy?" Terrence asked.

"Anthony Helioson," he said, introducing himself. "Head of Solar Progeny."

"The Fear Detective?" Rachel asked.

"My reputation precedes me," he replied. "Justin and I were friends once. A long time ago."

"Before I got caught up with the Timberwolves," I explained. "We haven't exactly talked since then."

"You sort of just up and left after Daniel's funeral," he said.

"I'd just killed a bunch of Proxies," I said. "Wasn't safe to stick around any longer than I needed to."

"You coulda stay a bit longer, what with me impeding the investigation and all," he said.

I blinked a couple times, confused.

"You did what now?" I asked.

"You heard me," he said. "Wasn't easy, but I managed to through the police off your trail. At least temporarily."

I let that sink in for a few seconds.

"You helped me?" I asked.

"No shit," he said. "Just cause you fucked up and started running with a cult doesn't mean I stopped giving a shit about you."

"Wow," I said. "Thanks."

"So, Daniel isn't handling the stress of being here well, is he?" he asked.

"You've been keeping up with my blog?" I asked.

"Duh," he said. "I read all the blogs. Helps shed insight on what I'm up against."

"I see," I said. "Well, no, Daniel's not doing so great. Have you... uh... heard from him yourself?"

"I've seen him in my dreams a couple times since coming here, but other than that, no," he said. "I think your weird dream bond of yours is stronger than it is with everyone else on the Board right now. I'm guessing it's because he died trying to save you."

"Speaking of the Board, why exactly are you here?" I asked. "The Game Master invited you, right? Why accept?"

"Research," Anthony said. "Duh."

He finished his cigarette and stamped it out.

"I should head off soon," he said.

"You gonna be alright on your own?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said. "Besides, you're motley crew here seems to have enough members. Two Timberwolves, a Thoughtborn, an SMSC agent, and a renegade Card. Get yourselves a talking dog, and you might make some half-decent detective rivals for me."

He started walking off, but then he paused and turned back to me.

"You know, you should really get back in tough with your family," he said. "Do you have any idea how often your sister calls my office asking if I've heard from you?"

Terrence turned to me in surprise.

"You have a sister!?" he asked.

"No," I replied. "I'm an only child who was raised in a zoo by a pack of lynxes."

"I'll see you later," Anthony said. "Try not to die in the finals."

"You too," I said.

"Oh, I don't plan on makin' it that far," he said. "I'm gonna try and get knocked out before than. I can handle myself just fine, but I don't think I'm cut out for whatever the big guy has planned for the finale."

And then he left. So, yeah. That was our encounter. Nice catching up.

No comments:

Post a Comment