Followers

Monday, January 14, 2019

Fallen

Sal's been defeated. He went up against the Faceless Bastard, and, well...

Faceless... or, rather, Sergei, I should say. He got in some cuts early in the fight. Sal gradually lost more and more blood as the fight went on. Eventually, despite his efforts to win using his terrain control, he lost consciousness. Sergei charged in and tried to end it, when something unexpected happened.

The terrain shifted again, entrapping him, and the Ace of Diamonds appeared in between the two of them.

"What is the meaning of this?" William demanded.

"Valon Saltown has lost consciousness," she replied. "By your own rules, the fight is now over."

William's bony hands clenched tightly. His frustration was obvious.

"Am I wrong?" she asked him, in a challenging tone.

After a few moments, William relaxed a bit and nodded.

"Very well," he said. "Valon Saltown has been defeated. the winner is Sergei Korchaviv."

The Ace of Diamonds left, seeming relieved, and took Sal with her, as the terrain returned to normal, setting Sergei free.

I bolted immediately, making my way to Sal's room, thinking it was the most obvious place for them to take him. As I ran, I thought of what I had just witness, and a couple pieces fell into place to me.

The Ace of Diamonds has the same powers as Sal does. Furthermore, the way she stepped in to stop Sergei... That wasn't the action of someone randomly trying to spare a live. That as the action of a parent protecting their child.

I made it there and flung open the door. Sure enough, Sal was lying unconscious in bed, with one of the Hearts standing over him, treating his wounds. But someone else was there as well, sitting in a chair. I recognized him as the Eight of Clubs. The Shopkeeper who had melted my scythe before. The reason Malkator was in this tournament.

"What the fuck are you doing here!?" I demanded.

"Watch your language," He said coldly.

Ignoring him, I turned to the Heart.

"Is he alright?" I asked.

"He will be," she said. "So long as you stop distracting me while I work."

The Eight of Clubs took a moment to stretch out and adjust his seating.

"Seriously, why are you here?" I asked.

"If you must know," he said, nodding toward Sal. "I'm here to see that my nephew is taken care of."

Nephew? Sal mention his dad was a Spade, but he never said anything about a Diamond mom and a Club uncle.

"So wait," I said, turning back to the Heart. "Are you related to Sal too?"

"I'm just here to treat his wounds," she said, through gritted teeth. "Which the two of you are making very difficult for me. Would you please take this conversation outside?"

The Eight of Clubs and I stepped out into the hallway.

"So just who the fuck-"

"Language," he interrupted.

"Who are you, exactly?" I asked.

"My name is Estren Saltown," he said. "Valon's father is my older brother. He had something of a short fling with the boy's mother, and the result was the first ever hybrid Card."

"I see," I said.

"Would you mind doing me a favor?" Estren asked.

"No. Fuck you," I replied.

"Language," he repeated haughtily. "Just listen to me."

He reached up, placing a hand on his mask, shifting it aside to reveal one of his dark black eyes.

"If, in this tournament, you face the man who did this to my nephew..."

His iris suddenly turned a bright yellow, and his pupil stretched upward, thinning into a slit.

"...Wreck his shit."

I smirked at him.

"Language," I snarked.

He tsked at me, before putting his mask bac on and turning to leave.

Wow, Daniel chuckled. If HELLFIRE swears, you know its serious.

"HELLFIRE?" I asked.

Long story, Daniel replied. So, what's the plan from hear?

"The quarter finals are over now," I said. "There's only four of us left. Me, Cerise, Sergei, and Malkator."

What do you think? Daniel said. Can we take them?

"We have one advantage against all of them," I said.

Oh? Daniel asked.

"Our fight with Henry wasn't just me vs him," I said. "You and Judgement were also part of that fight. No matter who we fight next..."

Will be 2 on 1, Daniel said.

"In our favor," I said, nodding.

Heh, Daniel chuckled. Maybe having a dead guy living in your head could give you an edge. But we'll need a plan.

"Don't worry," I assured him. "I got this."

And with that, I left to go find Anthony. I needed words with him.

1 comment:

  1. You know I'm not exactly... Unused to people hating me for hurting or killing their loved ones, but this one seems particularly unfair...

    ReplyDelete