Followers

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Call

I saw Ciel's post. Good to know Terrence and this Davey dude are alright.

I don't know when the next phase of the finals are gonna start. It's driving me crazy. I've got some serious competition ahead of me.

In other news, I got a call on Anthony's phone the other night. Against my better judgement, I answered.

"Justin?" asked a familiar voice from the other end.

"Jenna," I replied.

"It's been a while," she said.

"I know."

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Of course I am," I replied. "Why?"

"Because your my brother, dumbass," she said. "I worry about you."

"Jenna Grace Ferin, you watch your fucking mouth," I said.

She chuckled.

"Good to know you've still got your humor," she said. "After seeing you fight, I wasn't kind of worried... you know..."

"That I've turned into a heartless killer over the past few years?" I asked.

"I wasn't gonna say that," she said.

There was silence for a few seconds.

"That guy you fought was an Oathbreaker, right?" she asked.

"How do you know about them?" I asked.

"Tony told me," she said. "He's dealt with them before. Says to look out for their symbol whenever I go to the doctors."

"Yeah," I said. "There's other ways to tell, but servant's do love their symbols."

"And what about you?" she asked. "You're... the same, right?"

I let out a sigh and remained quiet. This is why I didn't wanna talk to my family.

"Tony told me," she said. "But I didn't notice any symbols on you..."

"I'm... not as fond of the symbols," I admitted.

More silence.

"Look," she said after a while. "I get that you don't wanna talk about this, but I worry about you. Mom and dad worry about you. Just... Promise you'll be okay, alright?"

"I will," I said.

"I mean it," she said. "I watched those other fights, and I don't like the look of your competition."

"I'll be fine," I said. " I'm not about to die here. I made a promise, and I'm not dying until I've kept it."

"Well, then make me a promise too," she said.

"Fine," I said. "What is it?"

"Stay alive," she said. "And when you make it out of here, give me a call?"

I enhaled slowly before answering.

"Done," I said.

"Good," she said. "Good night, Justin."

"Night, Jenna," I replied.

I hung up, and lay there for a few minutes, thinking of how long it had been since I've spoken those last words.

No comments:

Post a Comment